All requests for inheritance documentation and power of attorney must be handled in person. Please schedule an appointment before coming to the consulate.
In accordance with Afghan laws, every Afghan citizen is required to have a Tazkira (national identification card). Children born in the U.S. with Afghan parents, those who have not obtained a Tazkira, or those whose Tazkiras were burnt or lost, can submit a written application for absentee Tazkira to our Consulate in Washington, D.C. Below are the requirements to get an absentee Tazkira:
- Identification Form, including notarized Signature and Thumbprint (click here);
- Application for Abstentee Tazkira (click here);
- Eight passport-size photos with white background;
- A copy of the applicant’s ID (such as, State ID, green card or US passport);
- A copy of the Tazkira of a close relative such as father, brother, sister, uncle or cousin who is mentioned in the identification form;
- The identification information of the person representing the applicant in Afghanistan in regards to processing the absentee Tazkira application;
- Children who were born in the U.S. should submit an original copy of their birth certificate authenticated by the U.S. Department of State along with a copy of parents’ tazkira;
- A pre-paid and pre-addressed return envelope
Please compile the above information and bring your completed application to the Consulate in Washington D.C.