Please read the following instructions carefully and make sure to fill out the application form entirely and include all necessary items of your application for a birth certificate.
- Fill and sign the Birth Certificate Application Form (Application for Birth Certificate)
- Include a copy of the applicant’s Afghan passport or Tazkira that has been validated by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs in Kabul and U.S. passport/green card; (to show the applicant’s birth place is in Afghanistan)
- Two Afghan witnesses to verify the identity, date of birth, place of birth, and names of the father and mother of the applicant;
- The witnesses should not be any members of the applicant’s immediate family, for example: (father, mother, brother, sister, wife, husband, son and daughter)
- Witnesses are required to submit a copy of an Afghan passport or U.S passport/green card or Tazkira that has been validated by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs in Kabul;
- If the applicant and witnesses are not able to attend the consulate office and sign the paperwork in person, they should provide a notarized affidavit;
- Fee; $50.00 (Fees must be paid by money order only and payable to the Embassy of Afghanistan)
IMPORTANT NOTE: If you are applying by mail, please include a prepaid, self-addressed return envelope. Please use Certified or Registered U.S. mail, or a Federal Express or UPS shipping envelope. Return envelope should be trackable. Please do not forget to notarize and attach the necessary documents listed above to obtain a Birth Certificate.
Please schedule an appointment before coming to the consulate.
2233 Wisconsin Ave, NW
Washington, DC 20007
Tel: 202-298-9125 Ext: 8012/8016
PUBLIC WORKING HOURS:
9:30am – 1:30pm (Monday – Friday)