The guidelines below apply only for submissions to the Consulate in Washington, DC. We urge that you apply to your nearest consulate.
For Passport inquiries, Please email: email@example.com
Due to COVID-19, we are no longer accepting in-person appointments. To obtain a passport for yourself or your child, please compile the below documentation and mail your completed application to the Consulate in Washington D.C.
- Original Tazkira (If you do not have a Tazkira, you are not eligible to obtain a passport. Please apply for Absentee Tazkira prior to applying for a passport: (click here);
- Passport Application Form: Dari | Pashto
- Two Passport Size photos: Must be (2×2) inches
- Fingerprints (the applicant can get fingerprints at their local police station and include in mailed application);
- Former passport: It is mandatory to mail your previous Afghan Passport to the consulate if you have been issued one in the past. (If your passport has been lost or stolen, please submit a police report with your application and a copy of your passport);
- If you are a U.S. alien resident, provide documents indicating your residence in the US;
- A pre-paid and pre-addressed return envelope;
- Fee: pricing explained below (payable by money order only to the Embassy of Afghanistan)
New Passport Fees:
- Price of the new Passport: The fee for the digital passport is $120.00 per applicant (payable by money order only to the Embassy of Afghanistan)
- Shipping Fees from New York to DC office: $10.00 per applicant (payable by money order only to the Embassy of Afghanistan)
- Old passport expiration penalty fees: If the old passport is expired, the following penalty will apply (payable by money order only to the Embassy of Afghanistan)
- Three months past validity date on passport: $5.00
- Six months past validity date on passport: $10.00
- Nine months past validity date on passport: $15.00
- Twelve months past validity date on passport: $20.00
The issuance of a new machine-readable Afghan passport normally takes 25 to 30 business days. It may take longer in exceptional circumstances.